It’s a quieter month in the garden but with Spring just around the corner, there’s still lots to get on with. Here’s our February gardening guide, the next instalment of our monthly series with suggestions of what to do in Scottish gardens each month.
Prepare vegetable seed beds, and sow some vegetables under cover. We recommend our peat free Caledonian Topsoil for planting and landscaping.
- Winter-flowering shrubs that have finished flowering
- Roses (best done late Feb)
- Hardy evergreen hedges
- Conservatory climbers such as bougainvillea
- Deciduous trees (except for Horse Chestnut, Birch, Walnut and Cherry which will bleed at this time of year – these are best left to Summer.)
- Cut Back
- Deciduous grasses
- Summer flowering Clematis (best done at the end of the month)
- The Big Freeze
- Firm around any perennial plants in the borders which may have lifted with the frost.
- Check your winter protection, stakes, ties and supports are still working after any severe weather.
- Prepare Flower Beds For Spring
It’s a great time of year to get mulching. Tidy up the flower beds and give them a good weeding. For mulch, we recommend placing a layer of Green Goodness over weeded beds. It’s a natural weed suppressant (no need for chemicals) with the added bonus of slowly releasing nutrients into the soil.
- Think Ahead
The snow drops will have started to flower and the Daffodils and Crocus will be through the ground – hints of Spring just around the corner! This is a great time of year to take advantage of a quieter gardening month, put your feet up and make plans for the coming Spring and Summer.
Please share any other tips you have for this month below and check out our blog for more winter gardening tips from January’s post.
Scottish Borders Green Goodness Collection Voucher£10.00 inc VAT
Caledonian Garden Mulch Builder’s Bag£45.00 inc VAT
Caledonian Green Goodness Builder’s Bag£40.00 inc VAT
Caledonian Topsoil Builder’s Bag£55.00 inc VAT
Caledonian Topsoil 20kg£2.50 – £3.50 inc VAT
Green Goodness 40L£2.50 – £3.50 inc VAT