Whether you want a better lawn, healthier plants or are starting your garden from scratch, the Caledonian Horticulture range can help you build a garden to be proud of.
We produce a range of peat-free horticultural products at our composting sites across the south of Scotland. Available in small bags for gardens and allotments, builders bags for landscaping, and lorry loads for agriculture and remediation projects. We are open to the public, or can deliver across the Central Belt, Fife, Ayrshire and the Scottish Borders.
We also produce a range of sustainably harvested wood burner logs, kindling and pizza oven logs which are kiln-dried in our purpose-built drying kiln.
We provide a range of quality assured horticultural products to meet our customers’ needs with sustainability at the core of everything we do. We help to contribute to a circular economy by recycling or repurposing all waste we receive into our sites and diverting valuable resources from going to landfill.
We take great care in ensuring the quality of our sustainably produced product range and this has been recognised by the Association of Organics Recycling, winning the UK wide award for compost marketing and product innovation on two separate occasions, and more recently the British Renewable Energy Award for Preserving Natural Capital.
With what started as an idea for a college project, Tommy Dale’s plan to provide a sustainable recycling solution for the garden cuttings generated across South East Scotland has bloomed. At that time the material collected by councils and landscape gardeners was either sent to landfill or burned in bonfires – a huge waste of a valuable natural resource. Now, we take in the green waste and, using natural processes, turn these organic materials into quality compost.
We’ve come a long way since opening our first composting site at East Fenton, near North Berwick in 2002, and currently operate 12 sites across the Lothians, Edinburgh, Scottish Borders, and Central Scotland, working with 8 local council authorities. Over the years the Caledonian Horticulture product range has grown to include a number of different composts, topsoil, sand mixes and biomass fuels to meet the needs of our customers.
Our One Planet Pledge
We care deeply about the world we live in and are committed to being a business with a positive environmental and social impact. We are taking steps across all areas of our business to reduce our carbon footprint.
- Fuel Offsetting – We contribute 2p per litre of diesel used by our vehicles and machinery towards environmental restoration and carbon reduction projects
- Tree Planting – We plant a tree for every bulk bag of firewood sold
- Free Compost – We offer free compost to schools and community groups across the central belt to encourage everybody to try growing their own
We were delighted with our recent award wins recognising our work in these areas.
Our five company values reflect who we are, how we operate and our aims for the future:
- Sustainable – We ensure sustainability is at the heart of our business and is key to each decision we make
- Quality – We take pride in our products and aim for excellence in everything we do
- Integrity – We are honest and fair; people trust us to do the right thing
- Growth – We continuously develop through all aspects of the triple bottom line: planet, people, and profits.
- Growth – We truly value the people who work within, and in partnership with, FRM.
We are delighted to have been recognised by various organisations over the years for both our work and environmental initiatives:
- 2012 Association For Organics Recycling – The Jim Balance Composting Award
- 2013 Organics Recycling Awards – Source Segregated Compost and Digestate Marketing Award
- 2020 Scottish Land & Estates Awards – Community Champion of the Year
- 2022 SRUC Alumni Entrepreneur Network – Sustainability Award
- 2022 British Renewable Energy Awards – Preserving Natural Capital
- 2023 Scotland Excell Supplier Excellence Awards – Community Benefit