Whether you want a better lawn, healthier plants or are starting your garden from scratch, the Caledonian Horticulture range can help you build a garden to be proud of.
We produce a range of peat-free horticultural products at our composting sites in South-East Scotland. Available in small bags for gardens and allotments, builders bags for landscaping and lorry loads for agriculture and remediation projects, our products are tested to British Standards and are weed and pathogen-free.
We provide a range of quality assured horticultural products to meet our customers’ needs with sustainability at the core of everything we do. We help to contribute to a circular economy by recycling or repurposing all waste we receive into our sites and diverting valuable resources from going to landfill.
We take great care in ensuring the quality of our sustainably produced product range and this has been recognised by the Association of Organics Recycling, winning the UK wide award for compost marketing and product innovation on two separate occasions.
With what started as an idea for a college project, Tommy Dale’s plan to provide a sustainable recycling solution for the garden cuttings generated across South East Scotland has bloomed. At that time the material collected by councils and landscape gardeners was either sent to landfill or burned in bonfires – a huge waste of a valuable natural resource. Now, we take in the green waste and, using natural processes, turn these organic materials into quality compost.
We’ve come a long way since opening our first composting site at East Fenton, near North Berwick in 2002, and currently operate 12 sites across the Lothians, Edinburgh, Scottish Borders, and Central Scotland, working with 8 local council authorities. Over the years the Caledonian Horticulture product range has grown to include a number of different composts, topsoil, sand mixes and biomass fuels to meet the needs of our customers.
Our One Planet Pledge
We care deeply about the world we live in and are committed to becoming a business with a positive environmental and social impact. We are taking steps across all areas of our business to reduce our carbon footprint.
- Fuel Offsetting – We contribute 2p per litre of diesel used by our vehicles and machinery towards carbon offsetting projects
- Tree Planting – We plant a tree for every bulk bag of firewood sold
- Giving back – From beach cleans and charity fundraisers to introducing milk carton recycling in schools, we pledge to continue giving back to the local community and providing educational opportunities to benefit both future generations and the environment
We were delighted to win The Community Champion of the Year Award in the Scottish Land and Estates Helping it Happen Awards 2020 for South East Scotland. We were also nominated for The Iver Salvesen Green Business Award – fingers crossed for next year!
Our five company values reflect who we are, how we operate and our aims for the future:
- Sustainable – We ensure sustainability is at the heart of our business and is key to each decision we make
- Quality – We take pride in our products and aim for excellence in everything we do
- Integrity – We are honest and fair; people trust us to do the right thing
- Growth – We strive to continually better ourselves through all aspects of the triple bottom line: profits, people, and planet
- Responsible – We take our responsibility to the planet seriously and endeavour to leave it in a better place than which we found it for future generations